Wednesday, March 06, 2013

Personal Literacies Unit, Part I

Last week I read What I Talk About When I Talk About Running by Haruki Murakami. An excerpt can be found in the article, Haruki Murakami: Talent is nothing without focus and endurance.

As someone who occasionally runs and writes, I loved the content of this book because I’m interested in learning about how people work and construct their life routines. I plan to use the above excerpt as part of my Personal Literacies unit. In this unit, students read texts on the themes of reading and writing by authors such as Terry Tempest Williams and George Orwell. Then the students reflect on their own literacy experiences and how these have affected their attitudes about reading and writing. As I prepare to teach this unit again, I’m going to further develop these ideas and teaching materials.

This is the first in a series of posts about the personal literacies unit.

No comments: